So, is Santa real? a geek’s response
1. No known species of reindeer can fly. But there are 300,00 species of living organism yet to be classified, so this does not completely rule out flying reindeer which only santa has ever seen.
2. There are 2 billion children(under 18) in the world. But since Santa doesn’t (appear) to handle the Muslim,Hindu,Jewish and Buddhist children, that reduces the workload to 15 per cent of the total – 378 million according to the Population Reference Bureau. At an average (census) rate of 3.5 children per household, that’s 91.8 million homes.
3. Santa has 31 hours of christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the Earth, assuming he travels east to west(whick seems logical). This works out to 822.6 visits per second.
For each Christian household with good children, Santa has 1/1,000th of a second to park, hop out of the sleigh, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, eat the snacks left out, get back up the chimney, into the sleigh and onto the next house.
Assuming each of these 91.8million stops are evenly distributed, we are now talking about 0.78miles per household, a trip of 75million miles.
This means Santa’s sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second, 3,000 times the speed of sound. For comparison, the fastest manmade vehicle, the Ulysses space probe, moves at 27.4 miles per second – a conventional reindeer can run at a max 15mph.
4. The payload on the sleigh adds another element. Assuiming each child gets nothing more than a medium-sized Lego set (2lb), the sleigh is carrying 321,300tonnes, not counting Santa, described as overweight.
On land, conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds. Even granting that “flying reindeer” could pull ten times that, we need 214,20 reindeer, increasing the payload to 353,430 tonnes – four times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth. (LOL).
5,353,000 tonnes travelling at 650miles per second creates enourmous air resistance- heating the reindeer like spacecraft re-entering the Earth’s atmosphere.
The lead pair of reindeer will absorb 14.3 quintillion joules of energy per second each. In short, thwy will burst into flame almost instanteneously exposing the reindeer behinfd them, and create deafeninf some booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team will be vaporised within 4.26 thousanth of a second.
5. Santa, meanwhile, will be subjected to centrifugal forces 17,5000.06 times greater than gravity. A 250-pound Santa (which seems ludicruously slim) would be pinned top the back of his sleigh by 4,315,015lbs of force.
In conclusion, if Santa ever did deliver presents on Christmas Eve, he’s dead now, but as Santa is magic, all the above doesn’t matter!
So Happy Christmas everyone!!